Sunday, March 11, 2012

What Boat Do You Need to Burn?

 Some rights reserved by eimaj photos
The amazing Danielle LaPorte has offered up this intriguing question as part of her Burning Question Series

What boat do you need to burn?

Danielle writes:

There’s a story my friend Pasha told me about about a mythic band of magic-loving Irish folk. Feeling the call for newness, they would forge out to settle on a new island. Necessarily, they would make the journey by ship. When they arrived to their next land they would unpack — and then promptly burn their boats.

No desire to go back. Focused forward. New journey, new way of getting there, new results.

I've been turning this one over in my mind for a few days now, and the answer is pretty clear.

I need to burn the boat of Nothing That's Worthwhile Is Ever Easy.

I have lived on this boat for most of my life. It's an easy boat for me to maintain- I just have to tell myself that hard work creates character, that sailing against the wind makes for a good story and a worthwhile journey.

But I recently docked my boat on an unfamiliar shore - a wonderful relationship with my partner, J. I docked my boat and allowed things to be easy and wonderful and worthwhile in this relationship...and it's caused me to wonder if everything in my life could be easy, and wonderful, and worthwhile.

I think this new territory I've found is a land where easy and worthwhile walk hand in hand. This new place requires that my heart be filled with trust instead of worry.

In the words of Ms. LaPorte:  With gratitude, I strike a match.